The year was 1913. Roanoke was thirty-one years old and Salem was a small town, the center of government for Roanoke county. They were connected by a street car track which ran about parallel to what is now Melrose Avenue. Melrose Avenue was a narrow, unpaved wagon road.
In 1913 Aldine St. Clair began to lay the groundwork for a church. He and Thomas Childress began to hold church services in a small school building. The school building was hidden in the oak and pine trees on a hill between Roanoke and Salem. There was a narrow dirt road in front of the schoolhouse (Peck Street). In May of that year, a month long revival was held which brought into fellowship fifty Christians by baptism or transfer of membership and on June 15, 1913, the Edgewood Christian Church was organized. These fifty individuals made up the charter membership. The new congregation called as its first minister, Aldine St. Clair, who served Edgewood for over twenty-five years.
The schoolhouse which was owned by Roanoke County was purchased by the church in 1922. The building was converted into a church and Sunday school rooms were added. During the earlier years of the church there was no inside plumbing, no central heat, and no electricity.
A new church building was begun, but before it was finished fire destroyed it and the old schoolhouse on January 25, 1927. Hospitable people of the community opened their homes to the congregation. Later by means of pledges, offerings, and free labor, a new building was erected. The new building was dedicated in July, 1927.
In 1958, the entire interior of the old sanctuary was completely remodeled and a baptistry was added.
In June, 1963 Carlos Fields was called as Edgewood's first full-time minister.
A new addition was completed in November 1979.
In 1997 the sanctuary was refurbished, in 2004 a new fellowship hall and kitchen was added, and in 2018 a new youth center was opened. In both of these the congregations was able to raise the money for the projects before they were even begun!
The Lord has greatly blessed Edgewood through the years, and we look forward to where he will guide us in the years to come!
1. Aldine H. St. Clair Oct. 1912 - Mar. 1939
2. B.F. Calaway (pro- temp) 1938 - Summer 1939
3. Ernest Weaver (pro-temp) 1938 - Summer 1939
4. Dean Calaway Summer 1939 - 1940
5. Otho L. Craft April 1941 - Dec. 1961
6. Joseph Hardy Jan. 1962 - Dec. 1962
7. Carlos Fields Jan. 1963 - Sept. 1965
8. Charles Aldridge Oct. 1965 - Aug. 1967
9. Charles Carmen Dec. 1967 - April 1971
10. Harlan Ogle June 1971 - July 1976
11. Marion Harris Oct. 1976 - Dec. 1986
12. James Foringer June 1987 -Dec. 1989
13. Douglas Keffer April 1990 - April 1992
14. Larry Atkin Dec. 1992 - Nov. 2009
15. Ken Runyon Dec. 2009 - Nov. 2015
16. Brian Orahood April 2016 - present
1. Alvin Feltner June 1975 - Spring 1976
2. Mike Leamnson Oct. 1976 - Oct. 1978
3. Scott Gregory May 1980 - Aug. 1980
4. Dan Swezy July 1985 - May 1986
5. Brian Orahood July 1986 - June 1987
6. Richard Harding May 1988 - May 1993
7. Willie Purdee Oct. 1993 - Jan. 1996
8. Warren Whitaker May 1996 - Dec. 1997
9. Robert Paddock Jan. 1998 - Sept. 2003
10. Brian Chadwick June 2004 - April 2005
11. Joseph Schmidt Dec. 2005 - May 2008
12. Chris Brandow June 2008 - May 2015
13. Kevin McNeil June 2015 - present
Director of Children's Ministry
1. Stacey Lilley May 2005 - Feb 2011
2. Sarah Brandow March 2011 - Dec. 2015
3. Kayla Leighton June 2018 - present
1. Chris Brandow June 2015 - present
"Timothy's" of Edgewood Christian Church
These are men who are from Edgewood and have been ordained into the ministry.
1. Ollie Murphy
2. Ira "Sonny" Furrow
3. James Myers
4. David Workman
5. Jerold Tear, Jr.
6. Charles Fisher
7. Byron Paddock
8. Bob Paddock
9. Jason Cole
10. Seth Bryant
11. Brian Chadwick
12. Johnnie Tickle
13. Kevin McNeil
14. Alex James